In April did the Avon Bard appear,
and in that self-same month did he depart
whilst sun shone bright with ever-fulsome sneer
and Springtime dallied chill as boggler’s art.
Today, we halt anon and dream awhile
to make our vulgar speeches simular,
frail trump’ries though they prove to be, and smile
in epilogue to his craft insular.
Thus, here below, presented in array,
art twenty iterations tender-writ
that if poor William wert alive today,
he would belike have penned of his own wit.
And if thy wisdom renders thine aplomb,
congratulate thyself: thou art “da bomb.”
(Translation: There are 20 movie quotes below written in Shakespearean language. See if you can work them out. Original quotes and sources listed at the bottom.)
- Belike a contender I’ld have been.
- Whom wilt ye summon?
- Existence befalls as a casket of suckets.
- Verily, milady, no imputation burthens me.
- Prithee, this day of mine thou must provoke.
- The reek of napalm I do favor upon Aurora’s blush.
- I am enraged like eternal fire, and I shall bear this thing no further.
- This is a fair amity’s commencement, methinks.
- May Fortitude accompany thee.
- Make manifest the gilt!
- No truth canst you toss!
- One’s hearth hath no rival.
- Of that nymph’s fare I would partake.
- Upon thy greeting thou didst ensnare me.
- Speak salutations to my puisny playfellow.
- Arriven are they.
- None constrain Baby in any nook.
- I am surfeit with compulsion—the compulsion for haste!
- Of all-the-world am I monarch.
- Ho, Adrian!
- I could’ve been a contender. — On the Waterfront
- Who you gonna call? — Ghostbusters
- Life is like a box of chocolates. — Forrest Gump
- Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn. — Gone with the Wind
- Go ahead, make my day. — Sudden Impact
- I love the smell of napalm in the morning. — Apocalypse Now
- I’m mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this anymore. — Network
- I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. — Casablanca
- May the Force be with you. — Star Wars
- Show me the money! — Jerry Maguire
- You can’t handle the truth! — A Few Good Men
- There’s no place like home. — The Wizard of Oz
- I’ll have what she’s having. — When Harry Met Sally
- You had me at hello. — Jerry Maguire
- Say hello to my little friend. — Scarface
- They’re here. — Poltergeist
- Nobody puts Baby in a corner. — Dirty Dancing
- I feel the need—the need for speed!” — Top Gun
- I’m the king of the world. — Titanic
- Yo, Adrian! — Rocky
P.S. For more information about “Talk Like Shakespeare Day”, go here.